Monday, March 20, 2017

March 20, 2017: Emails to Mom & Dad

Email to Mom

Today we got approved to go paint-balling! That's the first time in the whole mission that's been allowed!

The rest of the package [you sent] was completely in tact and everything was great! Thanks again, Mom. And thanks for the science experiment. We'll see what we can do.

Well, this week has been pretty swell ... a few receptive people, lots of bashers. They all claim to be well versed in the Bible and that all these other churches don't know what they're talking about because they don't read the Bible or try to understand it. And then they go after our church. I don't think they realize how we work. Almost all scriptural arguments I've heard on my mission make pretty good sense and plenty of verses can be taken different ways. Our stance is equally convincing as all of those that I've heard. We just want to open them to that idea, share our point, and ask them to pray about it. No bashing, no commitment—we're not trying to bust down their door and cram religion in them.

It was actually still a pretty good week. We're pretty good at averting bashes. Side note, I traded a Muslim man an Arabic Book of Mormon for a Quran this week. I think I remember you saying this, but it seems like its just a rule book with abbreviated Old Testament stories. Kind of interesting, but nothing really new.

Love you, Mom!
Elder Rice


Email to Dad

I saw this dog that reminded me of Inigo this week. When we biked by he was scrabbling at the window of the house trying to get out and see us, and we passed by there a few times. The last time, he busted through the window and just kind of hung there in shock, looking around like he was thinking, "Now what?" I'm sure the owners were happy about all that.

We've got another baptismal date set with a kid named S. for early May. He's really excited and has even been using the normal Book of Mormon instead of the children's comic version. He picks up stuff pretty quickly, but we'll still have to review some.

I've really been trying to pick up in my journal writing. Lately it's been lacking a little. I was trying to pick back up a few days ago and started looking back on what I already wrote. I had nearly forgotten about a bunch of it! And it wasn't small stuff either. Scared me into keeping a better journal, because I don't want to forget all this. It makes me kind of wonder what kinds of things I forgot about before my mission.

So where's the high adventure at this year? I heard you guys had an awesome hike out somewhere in preparation.

Love you, Dad! Have an great week!
Elder Rice