Thursday, February 9, 2017

February 6 & 7, 2017: Emails for Mom & Dad

Email for Mom (Part 1), Feb. 6

Well, this weekend was a little nuts, but fantastic at the same time. One of our investigators, E., was going to get baptized on February 11, but due to some family health problems, we've moved him to March 4, which will be R.'s baptism by the way. He had an amazing spiritual confirmation finally that the Book of Mormon is true. As he put it, "When I put my mind to something, it gets done." It's a little crazy. Most of those I've extended that commitment to, they always had some slight level of reserve, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the commitment he's had to reading, praying, and coming to church.

This is just a quick email for today. The mission president and all our zone are doing a p-day, so we're getting to email tomorrow. Just a heads up!

We're headed out right now. They're taking us out to some place called Main Event. Not sure what it is, but they said be on time.

Love,
Elder Rice


Email for Mom (the rest of it), Feb. 7

Okay! Now I can respond.

Woohoo! I'm sure there are going to be a few upset that you're leaving Primary with how well things ran. I remember a few times when I was in Primary that there were no teachers in the class and things went nuts. Also, I don't think I got to hear what kind of tests Motab [Mormon Tabernacle Choir] puts you through to join.

I didn't think we had many less-actives in our ward. I remember a few, but I guess I wasn't so involved with the whole list as much as I am now.

Hmm ... I'm thinking I'm going to stick with my plan to serve out the mission, but I'm going to keep praying about that. I want to be more sure about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure the mid-transfer departure would put me too close to the UVU start date, but I think It'll give me time enough for BYU-Idaho.

So I found out that the time limit on these computers doesn't limit to just one hour with an optional hour extension. (I'm not sure exactly how much time we can extend, but it’s more.) So If I need to finish an email properly, I can do that now instead of a skimpy little message after the fact. President Mansell would still like us to keep it around two hours, though.

We got to do a bunch of bowling, air hockey, and laser tag at Main Event. Tons of fun, but we're probably not headed back there too soon. It has kind of a Boondocks atmosphere.

I kind of gave the highlight of my week in the last letter with R. We're super excited, to say the least. He's absolutely amazing in the journey he's taken. Every commitment, he's been amazingly diligent in studying and keeping. The only thing I feel like we had to do, was be in the right place at the right time and worthy to teach. He's had the desire from the beginning.

Love you, Mom! I'm happy you'll be getting this little bit of rest!

Elder Rice


Email for Dad

Funny enough, right after I read your email, one of the library workers walked up and started talking with us. She's a huge family history buff and has gone to a few Roots Techs in the past. It might be a door in to teach her!

Also, I met someone out here briefly who says that you know him from work. I can't remember his name, but his boss worked with you or something like that. Just thought I'd let you know, just in case you knew who it was.

Mom mentioned that you got to meet with a bunch of representatives from European countries. Does Portugal's Portuguese have a pretty different accent or can you tell? And did you learn anything interesting in the meeting?

This week's been nuts with all the exchanges suddenly thrown on us. We had our traveling AP drop call and let us know he wanted to do an exchange, then the president's son shows up 10 minutes later and we have to re-plan to make good use of the split. Now we've got a newly ordained missionary coming out with us today and we have a member previously scheduled. Plus, more members asking to come out with us. It’s a good problem to have, but I'm definitely going to need to make back up plans for back up plans for back up plans. If all that fails, I've seen miracles worked when it does, so I guess I shouldn't worry.

Love you, Dad!
Elder Rice