Wednesday, September 14, 2016

September 6, 2016: Email for Mom

We had no clue at the time that they were robbing the place. We thought it was her sister. From what I hear, she's already caught. We didn't really need to give a description. The whole thing (search and arrest) happened without us knowing. From what the neighbors describe, they already sort of knew who it was from the get go.

I really liked that poem! I'm not very good at articulating what it is I like about it, but I really like the tie it has to the Brother of Jared's experience. Maybe it’s just how effective the image conveys the idea. Thanks for sending that.

So I'm at the first week past the year mark, and now looking back, that wasn't a very long time. I know some elders out here who were really excited to get there so they could start counting down, but now that I'm here, I don't see what the excitement was about. We burned one of our old useless shirts for the occasion, but I think all of us just kind of wished it would go a little slower. Not that we don't miss you guys.

Elder H. taught me how to play Magic. The last guy I thought who'd know. He's a big wrestler, threw and won state shotput, played football, and worked on his uncle’s ranch in the summers. Turns out he's also a huge fan of Legend of Zelda, Halo, and Magic. I have to admit, the game's pretty fun, but it sounds like the cards are a little pricey. I don't think I’ll be jumping into that one.

I'll need some time to think about my birthday. Right now I'm just focusing on our new baptismal date for Oct 29! Our investigators here are amazing! We were sharing with Tish the plan of salvation for the first time, and she actually started tearing up a little at hearing it. I'm always amazed at how much this means to people. I think I just take it for granted most of the time.

Love,
Elder Rice