Monday, March 21, 2016

March 14, 2016: NONDESCRIPT TITLE

Well, the first full week of Edmond was really slow. Every area is a little different I've heard. I have hope, though. I've heard that in the past Edmond has been the "promised land" for missionaries, so all we have to do is work hard, stay obedient, and work with the ward, and we should see some real improvement. Looks like we'll still end up doing a lot of tracting though, looking at previous missionary's work.

I sent the apartment number in another email, but it’s 102.

Also, Mom, you said that Grandma and Grandpa have sent me a few emails awhile back. I haven't received them. Are they sending it to the right email?

Mom's haircut picture is blank, but that's okay. I'm sure it’s glorious to behold.

Thanks for the S.U.C.C.E.S. email, Dad. I don't think I need three hours worth of it, but I'd definitely like to see more.

Your missionary talk story reminds me of a joke I heard in Shawnee:

There was a Preacher who had passed on a while back who found himself at the waiting room before the pearly gates. The man was a little nervous, even though he was surely a holy man. Peter came in and rewarded people one by one with their gifts before they entered their final destination. The line dwindled until there was only one man ahead of him.
He was a short, Hispanic man who wore a taxi driver's nametag that said his name was Pablo. He was a simple man who had taxied all his life and had a few vices such as smoking and every once and a while grabbing a drink on the job. Peter came up to Pablo and said "Oh, Pablo, we've been expecting you!" and handed him a scepter and crown and let him through a door to a crowd of cheering angels.
When the preacher saw this, he was no longer nervous, saying to himself, "If he that's how he was received, how great will my reward be?!" Peter came in and came to the preacher. "Oh, we've been expecting you as well! Here's your reward!"
The preacher was shocked to find a tattered traveler's cloak and a staff, and the door opened to a dreary wasteland. "What is this!? How did I get something so bleak when that man in front of me got what he got?! I gave sermons every week!"
Peter replied "Oh, well see, we don't judge based on works, we judge based on performance. Whenever you gave a sermon, as long and eloquent as they were, everyone fell asleep. Whenever anyone taxied with Pablo, they prayed their hearts out the whole way!"
I hope I told that well enough. It was pretty funny when I heard it first.

Here's another one I heard here in Edmond: What do you get if a man is dyslexic, agnostic, and an insomniac? A man who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

Love,
Elder Rice

Here's a few photos:

We're crammed with all the suitcases in the back of the car.

We found a super cheap place to gold on p-days. I don't know how we
managed to get a hold of golf clubs, but they're in our apartment.