Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5, 2015: To Mom

Thanks for clearing things up. I was worried that something was wrong with my email. I do have bedding my companion let me borrow. I’ll see about getting some for myself.

I have really realized that I should be giving more focus on the gospel they don’t have just this week. I’ve noticed that a lot of our investigators seem to think that our church is theirs but with minor differences. In the end they feel that such minor differences are not worth the trouble of joining a new church and finding new friends. I think that stressing the Plan of Salvation message would definitely help.

This week was about the same as last week, but I have hope. We have been allotted more driving miles so we can get out to the more remote regions of Shawnee. We’re also focusing on meeting with members and less-actives, sharing “Missionary Moments” and asking for referrals, instead of the tons of tracting we’ve been doing. Maybe we’ll even get a few more members that we can count on for member-present lessons (the mission president and the MTC stressed those). I think we’ll do pretty well this week.

I’m surprised that Nathan hasn’t put in his Eagle papers. I thought he would have done it before the verdict on whether the church was keeping scouting. Keep on him. A.P. Art must be amazing because when I saw that drawing I thought I was looking at concept art. I’m regretting not taking that class now. I hope I can find time to do some drawing myself. Then again, I’d rather be so busy with investigators that I couldn’t.

We did have a pretty good visit with one of our investigators. He’s a trucker and has been in and out of jail a few times. He’s also recently contracted a disease and infection in a tooth. He was telling us about how he was close with the Lord, but didn’t understand what he wanted him to do. He was living correctly and working hard, but he still had financial trouble to the point his wife considered leaving him. He then said two awesome phrases. “I’m looking for answers,” and “I feel there’s got to be something more.” We shared about Joseph Smith, giving an example of the righteous suffering and about God’s plan. He wants to learn more and said, “You guys always seem to show up at just the right time.” (He was really depressed and was about to go out on another long truck drive.)

Conference was awesome! I can’t call to mind many specific things because I don’t have my notes with me, but I can say that it was the best conference session I’ve watched.

I picked up a book from a thrift store that we did service at. It’s called The Tolkien Reader and it has many stories that Tolkien wrote in and out of the Lord of the Rings universe, like “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil,” poems like “The Oliphant,” and part of an original play “The Return of Beorhtnoth, Son of Beorneath” (I think that's his name). [“The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorthelm’s Son”] I’m going to send it home for Nathan and Joshua, considering Jacob’s Harry Potter reading. I really need to get rid of it soon, as it calls like the One Ring.

I already played a few games, but I’ll ask the president about the cards.

I forgot my camera again. I don’t know what I need to do to remind myself to get it before I leave.

Love,
Elder Rice