Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Emails to and from Joshua

The following is an exchange between Parker and Joshua that I didn't post earlier because Joshua only forwarded it to me today. Some of the information Parker shares is a repeat from emails to us. I wouldn't normally include Joshua's emails, but they are just too funny. The relationship between these two boys tickles me!

From: Joshua Rice
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2015 10:47 AM
Subject: Message to Parker Rice


Hi Parker!

Even though you haven’t been gone that long, it feels like you have. By the way, what’s the food like at the MTC? Do you remember what cartoons are?

Speaking of cartoons, Gumball finally went Super Saiyan. Yes, he really did! I would show you a picture, but I don’t know how.

If you get homesick, don’t just think of what Nathan’s quote said. Think of this, too: “Use the force, Harry.” — Gandalf

Or maybe this: “You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself.” — Zuko

Anyway, have fun on your mission. Good luck and have fun!

Wish you were here!
Love,
Joshua

P.S. You forgot to tape up your Pokémon cards. Can I have some?

From: Parker Rice
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Message to Parker Rice


Thanks Joshua.

First, no, you can’t have my Pokémon cards. I’m very serious. I’d like to sell those when they’re old. Please put them with my swords. Good Zuko quote.

Well, it’s an awesome adventure out here. Very much like Hogwarts, with learning special abilities and all that. Feeling the Spirit, blessing oil, anointing, and other spiritual stuff. I’ve gained a lot of friends here. All of my branch greets me when I enter the room with “ELDER RIIIIIIIIIIICE!” And sometimes they just say that for fun. Unfortunately, it might get irritating after two years considering almost all of my branch is going to Oklahoma with me.

Be safe, Joshua. I know that sometimes I might not sound serious about spiritual things, but out here it’s so different. I can’t really explain it. Just know that the Church is true. At some times, it may seem like praying doesn’t get an answer. But as I’ve learned out here, when you really need an answer and are ready to receive it, you will.

Love,
Elder Riiiiiiiice

From: Joshua Rice
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 10:22 AM
Subject: Hi Elder Rice


Hi Parker,

I have another quote that is awesome: “Dude, don’t fight. Take a chill pill and it’ll be all right.” — Gandhi

If you didn’t know, Gandhi really didn’t say that. Gumball did.

Anyway, Studio C got enough funds in special effects to buy a portal gun and Inigo keeps getting stung by bees.

BYU won [after] an incredible pass [play] in which they were one point down with one second on the clock when they passed it across the entire field and he caught it in the end zone.

Anyway, what’s going on with your life?

Email me back or else!!!

From: Parker Rice
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Hi Elder Rice


It’s my last day here and I can say pretty well that I can tell what the Holy Ghost feels like. Besides that I’ve just been strengthening conversion. We actually committed a nonmember to baptism. Hopefully she follows through when we leave.

Our branch elders decided to put together a “Last Supper” for outgoing missionaries by bringing a table in their bedroom, compiling all the food they had received through mail, and wearing bed sheets as robes. It was more of a feast really.

Just a reminder, those Pokémon cards aren’t yours! :-l

I heard about that game from our branch president. I could actually hear the game from the MTC and see the stadium from the fence. Did you guys go?

Next you hear from me I’ll be in Oklahoma!

Elder Rice