Skip to main content

Bits & Pieces

I've been trying to collect enough random stuff for some sort of blog post. Summer has been very slow for writing. Below are a few things I've been thinking about, plus some pictures.


Failure

For most shortcomings, failure is too strong a word. If you're learning to play the piano but you can't play a piece correctly right away, you haven't failed. You're still learning it. Similarly, if you aren't a perfect parent, child, sibling, spouse, friend, etc., you aren't a failure—you're still learning.

Unless you quit. Then you fail. Until you start trying again.


Pet Peeves

Don't let minor irritations solidify into things you love to hate. And definitely don't compile a list and share it online. Nobody cares about your particular set of peeves but you.

Remember this story? Pockets Full of Rocks. It's more about collecting grudges than collecting pet peeves, but there are similarities. Hoarding either one only serves to cause you unnecessary pain.


Culture Vs. Biology

I read an online post about how patriarchal culture conditions women to behave passively. The writer argued it isn't biological, but learned cultural behavior. My questions:


  • How does culture develop independent of biology? Did some aliens just come slap it on us after we'd evolved sufficiently? Is that what the Egyptian pyramids are really all about?


  • Why does it always have to be nurture versus nature? Why can't it be a combination of the two? In fact, why wouldn't it be?


Pioneer Trek

My two oldest boys will be attending the traditional summer activity of young Mormons everywhere: Pioneer Trek. It's sort of like a spiritual bootcamp—all the fun of EFY with a heavy dose of physical rigor and controlled starvation. I remember when I went on Trek as a young woman, my sister got her foot run over by a fully loaded handcart. Fun times!

The youth who are participating are supposed to bring along a 3x5 card with a picture and story about one of their pioneer ancestors. We chose my great-great grandfather, William Kilshaw Barton.

William Kilshaw Barton

Among the interesting tidbits in his journal is this account of one day he spent during his mission to England (where he was born):

July 26, 1872. ... I went to a Wax Works Show. I saw a large painting to represent Brigham and his forty-seven wives, some of them booting him and others weeping. He (Brigham) was represented as a very old man sitting in a chair, his mouth turned down at the corners — nothing like him. ...


Goblin Valley

Last weekend, Jason and Nathan went on a Scout overnighter to Goblin Valley. I'm sure beautiful pictures are forthcoming. So far, all I have is this one of Jason in a ridiculously practical hat:


Popular posts from this blog

Made it to the Mexico MTC!

Hey Mom and Dad,

This is just a quick email to let you know that I made it to the Mexico MTC safely. Everything's moving really fast, the Spanish keyboards are weird, I'm super hungry, and my next P-day isn't until next week. I won´t be able take any photos here except on P-day, so sorry, but my photos of the MTC will probably be pretty limited.

I'll send a longer message next week!

Love,
Elder Rice

Life in México

Dear Everybody,

The last week of my life feels more like six months. It's hard to communicate how crazy everything has been, so probably only Parker, Mom and Dad will understand.

Warning: my emails may have a lot of typos in them because the computers here are set to autocorrect to Spanish. Almost every word I type has a red squiggly line underneath it.

My trip here was fine. I got some Biscoff cookies on the plane, and they fed us pizza when we arrived at the MTC, or as they call it here, the CCM (Centro de Capacitación Misional de México). I met my first companion, Elder P., shortly after arriving at the CCM. Dad might remember him as the elder who shook my hand in the airport parking lot right before I left. He was extremely quiet at first, so I assumed that was just his personality. But as the first day passed, the stress wore on him, things got worse, until he suffered something of an emotional breakdown in the bathroom. I did my best to comfort him, and he agreed to see the…

Nathan’s second group email

Dear Everybody,

Thanks for all your emails and advice (especially Dad). I don't always have time to respond to each letter individually, but I always read them. And the advice really helps a lot.

The earthquake yesterday was a little bit of a weird experience. We were all sitting in the comedor (the cafeteria) when it started rumbling a little. The whole room (which is pretty noisy) went silent for about five seconds, a siren went off, the lights started flickering, and everybody immediately jumped out of their seats and rushed to the earthquake safe zones we’ve been told to go to in emergencies. The rumbling ended after about 40 seconds and nothing really happened, but it was still a little crazy. I’ve now felt the waves of two earthquakes in my life.

It rained a ton this week, which is good because Elder P. gets really excited whenever it rains for whatever reason. I also learned that he likes to play the piano, too. He can’t read sheet music anymore because he quit lessons when h…